Resolutions. And some non-resolutions.
It’s that time of year again. For the last few years, I have resolved to not make resolutions. I always set all the same goals that everyone sets — lose weight, work out, quit smoking. I rarely keep any of them for very long so I began to think, what’s the point?
But a couple of weeks ago I glanced up at my bulletin board and noticed a piece of note paper with “2010 resolutions” written at the top. Well what do you know? I don’t even remember making any! Funny thing is, I actually did everything on my list. So I decided to officially make some for this year.
Here it is. My resolution list for 2011:
1. Don’t smoke. Last year one of my resolutions-that-I-don’t-remember-making was to quit smoking. I’m well on my way and in 2011 I just hope to continue the path. I was reading an article recently in Glamour or something like that about tips for good health and one of them read: “Don’t smoke. Not even occasionally.” Word.
2. Take a tap class. I LOVE to dance. Like I seriously will bust a move whenever given the opportunity, but I haven’t taken a class in forever. I studied jazz and ballet, but all of my tap is just faking it with the appropriate arm movements and a big smile. So, that needs to happen ASAP.
3. Make videos. Our friend, Megan, has been harassing us forever to add a video section to our site. Tricky. We don’t want to look all cheesy trying to do some how-to-wear-the-whatever video, so the challenge is to make cool video. I used to work in video production and just love producing. So my goal is to spearhead that whole thing and MAKE. IT. HAPPEN.
4. Start a podcast. For those of you who don’t know, I used to be an actress. I’m very dramatic and I looove the spotlight! Earlier this year Arlene and I were on WGN radio, and ever since I have been dreaming of having my own radio show. Hellooo, podcast!
5. Blog. Although I’ve been blogging now for over 2 years, I still find it hard to inject myself into my posts and make them personal. I don’t want to just regurgitate information that I read on other blogs; I want to share something of myself. And that’s a very big challenge.
Taking a cue from my new friends Anne Sage and Bri Emery, who took a cue from their friend Erin Loechner, I was also inspired to pat myself on the back a little and make a list of things I want to continue doing right. Here’s my list (I feel compelled to do it in third person — see Anne, Bri, Erin above):
1. You did a really awesome job at networking this year. Keep that up. It’s going to pay off!!
2. You learned from your mistakes. Learning is a good thing. Never stop!
3. You quit smoking!!!! That is awesome. Keep up the good work!
4. You were a good daughter and spent a lot of time with your dad. He really appreciates the time you spend together, so keep heading to the ATL!
5. You are doing a great job. And you’re doing what you love. Pat yourself on the back every now and then.
So that’s it. For now, anyway. Do you have any resolutions? Or non-resolutions?? Come on, give yourself some credit. What have you done right?
And to start on my resolution about making my blogging more personal, I’m signing this. Don’t know how to do that yet and hate the whole mass xoxo thing, so I guess I’ll just say…
bottom image from pinterest via Fer Gonzalez Sandino
Tags: New year's resolutions